Cain - A Call to Adventure

Ah, it’s been six months since I wrote that first journal entry and while I’ve maintained a journal since that day, much has happened. Today Lord Finvarra offered me the opportunity to join an adventuring party, on a world called Crannog, if I feel that I am ready.

Becoming Healthy

Physically, I’ve healed and while there are still some body parts that could use more time, I am doing well and getting antsy to do more than just train. Though I do find myself easily overwhelmed at times when there is too much going on around me or noises that take me back to the prison. 

Then there are areas where my mind still seems to be blocked, beyond my Master’s geas, and the healers and wizards I’ve talked with can’t figure out how to get around it - yet. Another piece of the puzzle has been added.

Though I did learn that it took five healers, and a wizard several days to heal both my body and mind of most of the damage that had been done to me during my imprisonment before I woke up that first time in my bed. One of the healers told me Lord Finvarra came in on the last day and worked his miracles upon me, otherwise I would still be quite crippled. None of the healers or the wizard would have believed or could have imagined how badly I had been tortured during my imprisonment if they hadn’t seen with their own eyes what had been done to me. 

They were all amazed that I had even survived, how I had walked out of the prison under my own power, and much less that I was still somewhat sane, they couldn’t fathom. Though I’ll agree to the “just somewhat sane part”, some days do feel like I’m coming apart at the seems. Those observations that they shared with others, only added to the rumor mill about me and the mystique about Kane have reached levels far beyond the truth, though the truth was bad enough.

In the end they dared not do more for the damage done was so grave and I was so deeply scarred that to attempt further magical healing at that point might release me to the other side and waste the time and effort that Lord Finvarra had put into releasing me - no one wanted that outcome. The rest of the healing would need to be done naturally, if I was to be made whole.

I’ve come far since that first day and feel much more comfortable being in the service of Master Finvarra. He is a demanding Master, but fair. Though I don’t think he enjoys being called Master too much and tells me to stop it every time I call him that. It is a habit that I’m working hard to break, but having been brought up in the Jedi world and being lost in my mind replaying so much of my life while imprisoned makes it difficult to call him anything else. 

He is my Master and I am a Padawan when it comes to learning about the intricacies of Feywild Courts.

Though we are still exploring how I was able to contact him and how he reacted to my visceral emotional response to seeing the torturer when leaving the dungeon. It seems I had some sort of connection to him, but neither of us can explain what it is and it only worked when I am under a tremendous emotional strain. Though it has significantly decreased since he twisted my reality and I lost my Horizon Walker and Telepathy abilities – surprisingly, we both know it is still there.

It is a Fey Court

I’ve met his family, and others of his and Oona’s household. They have all treated me with dignity and respect, though the daughters are a bit flirtatious. Lord Finvarra warned me quite publicly that they were off-limits and so I maintain a respectful distance from their teasing and enticements. I treat them as would an older brother to his younger sisters, even though they are much older than I am. Plus, my newness is wearing off and they go about their days with new interests, much to my relief and I have a feeling, their father’s as well.

I don’t believe he brought me here to become a member of his family, even if he has become my Guardian. However, loosely it might be. I'm not sure what that means other than I am under his protection for now. I guess being raised primarily by humans has skewed my idea of how old one should be when they are on their own, compared to how Elves believe.

Though I have learned that he was only raised to ArchFey status at about the same time I was imprisoned if the information I’ve heard is correct.

His and Oona’s Fey Court is still a Noble Court with all the intrigues and behind the scenes power plays that go on in any Court. I’ve been “courted” and recruited by various factions within it and even from without his realm as he is now my Guardian. So far I’ve been able to remain aloof and neutral in these dealings, by playing up my recovery from a long imprisonment which I can’t talk about only adds an additional layer of intrigue about me. 

Though who I am has piqued more than a few of the Fey within the Court and I have heard whispers that some are attempting to find out who this person is that is called Kane and where did he come from. Of course, they seek to use that knowledge to their advantage when dealing with me and possibly even Master Finvarra. I suppose I should stop calling him that publicly, because it is a sure give away of some of my Jedi background.

But then again, perhaps if I say nothing and keep just being me. It might let them do the investigating and one might have resources or that Fate will successfully turn their efforts to figure out who I actually am into something I can use. I think that is probably the best direction and I’ll let that part of the Fey Court work for me, if it can. 

I think that I might be able to function in the Fey Court after all, but not get too immersed into it.

Accepting Who I Will Be

I’ve had full access to the Wizard’s and Fighter’s training areas and have learned so much in such a short time. However, about a month ago, Master Finvarra after sparring with me (he kicked my butt) suggested that it was time for me to stop moping about the palace and fully embrace becoming his Battle Mage. To let go of the bits and pieces of my Jedi past that were blocking me from my potential to become what he saw for me. Then he walked away speaking to another of the morning’s victims, for whom he had words of wisdom for as well.

I took a long walk around the grounds and spent several hours thinking about what my Master, no Guardian had said. He was right, I needed to let go of the past and move forward. Yes, it’s difficult, but it was what needed to be done. The next time we sparred, I fared a bit better and thanked him for his sage advice. He smiled and whacked me over the head with the flat of a training sword and told me to be more aware of what was going on around me. We both laughed, but he was smiling when he walked away.

Wizards

Even before that conversation his Wizards were quite willing to help me learn to be a War Mage. After “the talk”, my perspective towards the Wizards changed and I opened up to them more. Now learning new spells is going well and I have penned several that I will need going forward into my enduring spellbook. It is one of the perks of being around several other Wizards, if you would want to learn a spell, more than likely someone has it and is willing to share, if you return the courtesy when they would like to learn one of yours.

Being a Wizard has its advantages over being a Horizon Walker, but in the back of my mind I do miss the complete feeling that being one gave me. However, I agree with Master Finvarra’s prediction that becoming a Battle Mage is the correct direction for me to go. But to the surprise and at times consternation of some of the other Wizards I haven’t summoned a Familiar. I just don’t believe I’m ready quite yet, it will happen, but not just yet.

Though one of the most senior Battle Wizards coveted my Master Jinora’s Ring of Telekinesis and offered a Staff of Power in exchange - he had other more powerful ones, but the refinement of he could do with Jinora’s ring and his other skills would take him to a different level as a Battle Mage. I was loath to let anything of Master Jinora’s go, but at the same time I no longer needed to have magical items that duplicated Jedi skills. After Lord Finvarra’s little talk, I believed Jinora would understand, because I was no longer a Jedi and didn’t need to meet their standards. After thinking about it for almost a week, I agreed to the trade. Yes, it was a difficult decision.

Fighter

Even after trading for a wizard’s staff, I have to admit that I am still more comfortable working with the fighters and the training required there. I know that lifestyle better. Also, for the most part they are less pretentious than some Wizards are. Also Master Finvarra’s arms masters have helped me regain my strength and stamina through a lot of hard work, running up that damned hill about three miles from the palace, along with too many hours in the training circles. 

We’ve decided that the best compliment to my becoming a War Mage would be using a dual weapon fighting style. With one of the weapons being my Shadow Blade spell in my main-hand when it is available and the Staff of Power in the other. For those times I can’t cast Shadow Blade, having an extra longsword or a shield for the extra defense they provide, while still being able to cast other spells through my Warcaster ability and staff will be necessary. 

Also, I traded the Bracers of Defense for a set of Adamantine Plate Armor with an Arms Master I had gotten to know quite well. While I won’t sneak up on too many people, I’ll be able to cast spells and continue to cast spells closer to the front line of battle. Becoming a Battle Mage has required me to shift my priorities and also to sacrifice the items that my old Master gave me. Being brutally blunt, sentiment has little place when it comes to survival and I will survive.

No New Information

As far as finding out more about my lineage, other than learning that I have mind blocks purposely there to keep certain knowledge from me, and the name of the Battle Mage Master Finvarra told me about, along with a bit more about her early life. I’ve hit a black hole as far as new information about my lineage is concerned. The Sage in charge of the library thinks it odd that she has been unable to find out more about her after she left with the mysterious Astral Elf. I’ve piqued her interest in her legend and she is determined to find out more about who this mysterious Battle Mage became after leaving the Feywild.

Master Alandor’s past was shrouded in mystery almost as deep as my own and most of the stuff that the Sage and I have been able to find regarding his life are the legends that he scoffed at, while we were together. Though the Sage believes that there might be some trinkets of truth laden in those legends. She continues to investigate his life as well.

Adventure Awaits

It seems that one of Oona’s Warlocks is having quite a difficult time on Crannog, with a problem there called the Witching Hour. Master Finvarra asked if I might be interested in an “easy” first adventure for him and one that would help Oona a bit. Several of this Warlock’s party members have been killed recently and he needs someone who can survive the rigors and challenges this Witching Hour has.

It would also give Finvarra someone to keep an eye on one called Varrin, who didn’t defend his oldest daughter’s honor to his satisfaction when she was insulted by one of the other party members (one called Donkey who is no longer with the party) and Varrin had a bit too much of Oona’s scent on him when they arrived last night. Then Varrin had the audacity to insinuate that my Master was not good enough for him. Master Finvarra has requested that I observe this Varrin, and I will.

The adventurers are from Crannog and if my memory serves correctly that is where Master Jinora claimed he was retiring to. It is a big world with two planes, but I believe that rumors of a retired Jedi amongst them would be spread to those who listen to such things. While I’m in that world perhaps I can find and talk with Master Jinora to learn what he knows of my past. If he still lives. I will talk briefly with the Sage in the library to see if she can come up with any information. She has surprised me and others with what she can dig up on short notice

Though I appreciate Master Finvarra’s providing me with their magical journal that holds the tales of the adventures and troubles that Varrin and his crew have encountered since his adventures began not that long ago. I will read this journal to see what interesting tidbits of information I may find useful going forward. Since I have several hours before they are to awaken from their long rest, I think that I’ll start reading from the beginning. From what I have read so far, it indicates it should be an enlightening read. And yes, I am taking a few notes in my own journal of things that I want to remember that might help me assist the party more, since the only constant has been Varrin.

Before meeting with the adventurers tomorrow it is probably the time to see what that mysterious Battle Mage foresaw might be necessary to leave with Master Finvarra and if he believes there are things that I should take with me on this adventure. I have a feeling that my current mundane longsword will not be enough, even though I will be wielding the Staff of Power and using the Shadow Blade spell when I can, just from the little I have read so far in this journal. 

Adventure awaits me of that I hold little doubt. Though “easy” would not be the word I might use to describe what I’ve read to this point. Though I have seen that there are several backstories of other adventurers who joined the party and have left either from death or other reasons. I will have to decide whether I want to include my own story within its covers? Time will figure it out, I’m sure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Symphony of Destiny Unfolds

An Answer Well Received

How to Begin Again?